Saturday, September 16, 2006

I am this sheep...to God be the glory and praise!

On one of her daily walks, a woman visiting Switzerland happened upon a sheepfold. Venturing in, she saw the shepherd lovingly tending a sheep, which was lying on a pile of straw apart from the rest of the flock.

"It's leg is broken", the shepherd offered. Upon inquiring how such an unfortunate thing could happen, the shepherd sadly shook his head and explained that he had intentionally broken it. "Of all the sheep in my flock, this was the most wayward. It would not obey my voice and would not follow where I was leading the flock. On more than one occasion, it wandered to the edge of a perilous cliff. And not only was it disobedient-it was also leading my other sheep astray. I had no choice but to break its leg".

Shocked, the visitor exclaimed, "But what will happen when it walks again? It won't follow you after what you've done to it!"

"Not so", replied the wise shepherd. "After I broke its leg, I took the lamb some food and it tried to bite me. But after letting it lie alone hungry for a couple of days, I went back. It not only eagerly took the food, but licked my hand and showed every sign of submission and affection".

"And now", he continued, "when this sheep is well, it will be the model sheep of my entire flock. No sheep will hear my voice so quickly or follow so closely. It will be an example of devotion and obedience. Breaking its leg was an act of kindness. Through its sufferings, it will have learned to follow".

WOW

Taken from Mary Kassian Coversation Peace, 225-226 (Wow added by me!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home