Monday, October 09, 2006

Becoming...

I was peeling potatoes.
Old country music twanged in the background.
Cool air blew on my face through the open door.
A distant bird chirped.
The windchimes tinkled.
And suddenly,
I was 5 again.
I knew no pain.
I knew no death.
All was simplicity.
All was joy.

Ah, the joys of being childlike. The last few years I have struggled in vain trying so hard to grow up. And now I find that all my strivings were foolishness.

I have been being childish.
Pouting.
Wanting my own way.
Self-conscious.
Afraid.

And now by the grace of God ALONE, I am becoming childlike again.

I am learning trust.
As I left my old job, I knew I needed clothes for my new job. My boss gave me a 100 dollar gift card to J.C. Penny. I also needed groceries. I was give a 20 dollar gift card to Kroger.

Still, on the way home, I was thinking about money. How would I make ends meet? How would I buy Christmas presents? How would I pay for next semester?

When I got home I checked to see what mail I had gotten there. There was an envelope from the Baptist Association my home church belongs to.
Last year I won a 400 dollar scholarship. I only received 200 of it. So I assumed this was the other half. Gratefully and expectantly I ripped open the letter. It was a check. But it wasn't for 200. Not even 300 or 400. 500? Nope. Try 1000.00!!

I had forgotten to reapply but still got that huge check! I stood with my mouth open for a good 5 minutes while it sunk in.
God must have been giggling and shaking His head. "Oh my dear foolish child! When will you ever learn?"

Oh that this may continue!
I feel so much stronger than I did 2 months ago. But may it never be my strength, but His!!

I am becoming.
I have opinions!!
I am learning to share of myself.
I'm learning to accept myself.
Goofy, passionate, clumsy, emotional tomboy. That's me. By the grace and pleasure of the Almighty. That's me.

He has given me wings and is teaching me to fly.
I know I will crash and burn many times along the way.
But now I am on my way to truly being a child of the King.
Smiling.
Wanting His will.
Selfless.
Unafraid.
Wide open and curious.
Ready and willing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home